Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Endless Possibilities

Leda and the swan, Getta Villa, Fall 2010


To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly. ~Henri Bergenson

My world is about to change, but in an incredibly awesome way! I start graduate school in a little over a week. My heart is bursting with excitement; I am ready to learn, grow and be the best I can be in my profession. When you are passionate about something, that passion rubs off on those around you. I have missed igniting the spark which inspires my students to learn more. I can't wait to get back into the classroom in a year or so and do just that. It’s been a long time since I have had that type of passion, which makes me feel that my decision was right on.

While I know it will be a struggle, since I have two active little boys under the age of 6, it will be a good one. A beautiful end product awaits – an enlightened mind and the job I have been waiting for my entire life. It will take a lot of juggling and time management, but those are things in which I excel. It will definitely make the time I spend with the boys even more precious. I am looking forward to all of the reading, research and writing my thesis. What a wonderful year ahead, full of endless possibilities and personal growth! Look out world, you better get used to the new and improved me.

As usual, the boys have made me laugh and cry the past couple of weeks, with the funny little things they say and do. For those of you who didn’t know, I lost my aunt Becky suddenly two weeks ago. It has been really hard to deal with death in such a sudden and tragic way. I can’t even begin to describe the feelings I have, other than to say I am still in a state of shock, disbelief and incredibly sad. The boys lifted me up with their sweet silliness. Here are just a few of the many reasons they bring such joy to my world.

1. Yesterday, I was having my daily chat with Amber online and laughing uproariously at something hilarious she said and Tyler says “Mommy, stop being so silly! I have to work!” This cracked both of us up; he has such a sense of humor.

2. We were at our favorite park a couple weeks ago. Luke was running around playing and then decided he needed to swing. Like his brother, he has a favorite swing. There was an older boy, probably around 8 years old, swinging and enjoying himself. My 2 ½ year old little man marched up in front of him and said (while pointing his finger at him), “This is my swing! You need to get off right now.” Both the little boy and I laughed. After a good laugh, I had to educate Luke on proper swing and park etiquette.

3. The other night, I was tucking Tyler into bed. He told me, “Mommy, I need the phone. I need to make a call.” I was a little surprised, so I asked who he wanted to call. “Mommy, I need to call Isabel.” This melted my heart and then I started to fast forward and think what it would be like to have two teenage boys in this generation. Scary thought, must think in the present and absorb myself in their cuteness.

4. Dancing our sillies out brings so much crazy fun to our house. Last night, the boys and I were dancing wildly to Akon’s “Smack that.” All I have to say is my little man knows how to “get down.” I love listening to all types of music and dancing, so I share this with the boys. Watching their wild energy escape made me smile and laugh so hard it hurt.

Change and challenge is good and forces you to reexamine yourself -- your needs, desires and goals. To me, these things make life more meaningful. I look forward to all of the positive changes coming my way -- to new beginnings, to recreating myself endlessly.

Editor's note: A special thanks to Kelli, Frank and Amber. They served as references for me and impressed upon Concordia University Portland my motivation, work ethic and passion for getting my Master’s degree. I am also grateful to my circle of dear friends and family who supported me in making this decision to return to school and broaden my mind. I am blessed to have each one of you in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment