Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Return




I got the call in July, which changed my life and turned everything upside down. It was an offer I could not refuse. You just don’t turn down the opportunity to teach seniors, even if it is economics. So I’m back at Akins, a place I love, teaching Economics, Government and Student Leadership to one of the best groups of students I have taught in a while, give or take a few knuckleheads.

Life has been utter chaos, getting used to the new routine of working full-time and continuing my dream in graduate school. Waking up at 5:00 am, getting both of the boys out the door and to work by 7:30 am has been a challenge, but not impossible. I especially love the quiet that awaits me when I get to work. I get so much done in the mornings. The boys and I usually get home by 6:00 pm each night and then it’s time to make dinner. Bedtime for the boys follows shortly thereafter and then I hit the books or write into the wee hours of the morning, if I have not passed out from sheer exhaustion at 8:30 on the couch. Each day is busy and full, which brings new meaning to my life. This demanding schedule makes every moment I spend with the boys, my family and friends, more precious. It makes me appreciate the little moments even more -- the snuggles, the hugs, the sweet tender moments.

Tyler and Luke are loving school. Luke is in full-time preschool and has really blossomed. He loves learning new things, especially Spanish. He can’t wait for me to pick him up each day so he can tell me all about what went down at school. I love the sweet sound of his little boy voice and the excitement and enthusiasm he has for life. Tyler is in kindergarten and he thinks school is “awesome.” Even though he had a rough start adjusting to all of the new changes in our life, he is doing extremely well. Change in routine is difficult for children with autism, but things are getting better each day for Tyler. We’ve had our share of meltdowns and craziness which is normally brought on by tiredness at the end of the day. The progress he continues to make at school and in his therapies astounds me. He’s a true rock star!

I never thought I would say this, but I love teaching economics! I have challenged myself to make it meaningful and fun for my students. Of all the social studies classes, it is the most practical for the students, like geometry is to math. A new focus this year with the curriculum is personal financial literacy, so my goal is to teach my students to live within a budget. I will also teach them how to use credit wisely and invest for their future. These are all real-world, teachable moments. I do really miss teaching geography, but it will have to wait. Government will be a blast in this election year! I won’t be teaching it until next semester, but I’m already stockpiling political signs for my classroom. It will be exciting!

Graduate school on top of work has been stressful, but I am learning so much. I will start my fifth class this week, so I am almost halfway there. I made an A+ in my latest class, my least favorite, Educational Research (snooze fest!). Though the readings bored me to tears, I learned how to conduct my research and wrote my first two chapters. My focus will be on building a positive learning community in a 9th grade inclusive classroom. I am learning new strategies to fine-tune my teaching and create an optimal learning environment for all learners, from those with special needs to gifted and English language learners.

With all of the budget cuts and layoffs this year, I feel lucky to have a job. I feel even more blessed to have an amazing support group of friends and family who encourage and support me each day; whether it's catching up over coffee to some much needed girl time. A special thanks to Brandi, you’re friendship means the world to me. Thank you so much for allowing Tyler to ride home with Jaden. The extra social time is really helping Tyler. It makes me feel good to know that he has somewhere to go after school where he is loved. Tracy and Amber, you have a gift of making me laugh when all I want to do is cry. Thank you for believing in me and telling me “you can do this!” When someone believes in you, it’s like magic. Anissa, thanks for your lasting friendship and the new margarita recipe. It has really helped me relax and unwind in the evenings, especially on the days when my freshmen would make the Pope yell MF. Grammy and Pa, the boys are having so much fun spending extra time with you. Thank you for helping with this new transition, taking Tyler to his therapies and picking up Luke when I have to work late. I am blessed.

Life is full of surprises and change. My life has changed tremendously this year. I am so busy now that I have to remind myself to pee, but it’s all worth it. I am back in the classroom, inspiring young minds and making a difference. And at the end of the day, I am the mother of two of the most amazing little boys. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment