Monday, January 10, 2011

New Beginnings

A new year brings with it new beginnings. I am hopeful that this will be a wonderful year, full of good times for my family and friends. So far, 2011 has been exactly what I needed, especially a return to normalcy after the chaotic holidays. Tyler and Luke had a terrific week back at school last week. Tyler will be finishing up his year in Pre-K and preparing for the transition into Kindergarten, a new world. Luke continues to love school and begs to go every day, even though he only attends part-time. I am so impressed with all that he is learning and the little conversations that we have. Because of his demands to go to school every day, I feel that my decision to go back to work is the right one. Here are some things that I am looking forward to this coming year. These are in no particular order.

1. San Diego

We have decided to take a family vacation to California this summer. I am really looking forward to taking the boys to the zoo, the beach and exploring all that San Diego has to offer. This will be quite the adventure, since the boys have never been on a plane before. Also, I will get the opportunity to see a friend I haven’t seen in over a decade, so it will be wonderful!

2. Fixing up the house

We are hoping to get our house on the market in the next year or so. Last fall, I started painting the interior of our house downstairs to a beautiful neutral shade – desert caravan. We are hoping to move westward into a bigger house. As the boys grow, I am beginning to realize that they will need lots more space, including a bigger backyard to run wild in. When we bought our house 10 years ago, we did not have children, so we need something to grow with us. When I finish painting, I will move my work to the backyard and landscape. Our backyard is beautiful and has been neglected. I am looking forward to putting in some beds with shrubs and flowers, building walkways, etc. Our deck was the last outdoor improvement that was made and that was 7 years ago! I am excited about the prospect of a new house, a new neighborhood with amenities such as a park, trails and a pool.

3. Returning to work/and or school

This may be one of the things I am most excited about, my return to the workforce after 4 ½ years staying home. I have loved being with the boys for this precious time and I feel so blessed to have been able to do that. These were the impressionable years. I am hopeful that there is a job out there waiting for me. I believe that if something is meant to be, then it will work out. If not, I will head back to school. There is one thing that my autism journey with Tyler has taught me -- that I want to help others like myself. Whether that is as a licensed therapist or as a special education teacher, I guess I will find out.

4. Fun times with the boys

I love it when the boys laugh uproariously, frolic around, tackle each other, tackle and chase me, get filthy dirty, play basketball, ride their scooters; in general, just have fun. I am looking forward to more of these days and the new explorations and fun to come. While I realize that we will still have our struggles, I will not let them get me down. I will conquer them and not let them conquer me. I found this quote today by H.G. Wells which is incredibly true:

“The crisis of today is the joke of tomorrow.”

The point of this life is to be happy, even in times which are trying. So I will often think of this quote and remind myself of that; I will laugh and see the humor during and after these times. Also, I need to remember that the hard times are when we are taught the special lessons of life and to use each as a learning experience and not a setback.

5. More good times with family and friends.

Another way in which I am blessed is with a wonderful family and an incredible network of friends. I am looking forward to my sisters trip this spring. I LOVE my sisters! Wherever we go, whether it is New Mexico or New York City, I know it will be a blast! I am also looking forward to the time I have with my Dad this year, for I know he is in the bonus years. When you lose a parent, it changes your life incredibly. My Mom passed away when I was nine, so I spent most of my life without a mother. When I think of how my Dad raised my sisters and I on his own after my Mom passed away, I have even greater love and respect for him. My cousins, aunts and uncles, I look forward to seeing you too! I am equally as fortunate to count some of my cousins as my best friends.

My friends help me create balance in my life and bring me so much laughter. Each one of you has a special place in my heart. I look forward to spending more time with all of you, cutting up, laughing, walking on the hike and bike trail, drinking coffee and other things, having intellectual and ridiculous conversations, etc. Those who REALLY know me, know that I love the ridiculous just as much as the serious. I especially enjoy laughing so hard that I cry. 2011 will be an amazing year for all of us; that I am sure of, so I say carpe diem!

2010 taught me a lot, but the greatest thing is that life is incredibly short and I need to make it count. I was reminded of that when several family members, a friend’s parent and one of my former colleagues passed away this past year. We don’t get second chances; we have just one life to live. So I will embrace it, try new things, grab it by the balls and love it. To new beginnings!

No comments:

Post a Comment