Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Quacking Ducks and Big Boys



Spring Break was so much fun this year! I’m not going to lie, I dreaded it. After my horrible Christmas Break with Tyler and his tantrums from being out of routine, I had no idea what to expect. But sometimes when you prepare yourself for the worst, a nice surprise awaits you.

We started our Spring Break with a trip to Northeast Texas to visit my family. I long to be in the Piney woods -- I love the smell, feel, the slow-paced life and the friendly, down-home people. Tyler gets car sick, so we stopped every couple of hours to let him get out, walk around and go to the bathroom. I am proud to say that we made our trip without the pukefest that I had envisioned. I think the best investment I have made in a long time is a portable DVD player! This kept the boys entertained throughout our six hour drive (12 hours round trip) and also kept them out of trouble. We had a wonderful visit and now that I know that the boys can handle the drive, we are planning to go back and visit soon.

After our little trip, we stayed in town and enjoyed the perfect, spring-like weather. Every day, we went to the park and took advantage of the time we had together to play wild and free, without the constraints of having to go to bed early. The boys stayed up late, we watched movies and also munched on lots of popcorn. Lunch dates with friends, bubbly fun play time in our back yard and hours of hopscotch fun were also a big highlight of our week off.

During Spring Break, I decided to put Tyler in big boy underwear. For weeks he was staying clean and dry at school and at home, he was going to the bathroom regularly and rarely had an accident. I am proud to say that he stayed clean and dry all week long. He also told me on our trip when I needed to pull over so he could use the bathroom. He has been back at school for two days and has stayed clean and dry. I am so proud of Tyler! This is a HUGE step toward independence and one that we have struggled with for years.

Perhaps the most memorable experience was on Friday evening, when we fed the ducks at Lindshire Park. This would have been tough to do a year ago, when Tyler was terrified of birds and their erratic motions. It was fun to feed the ducks and watch the sunset over the water. It’s funny how different my boys are, one more serious and precise and my other, wild, rambunctious and carefree. I also enjoyed some wonderful “me” time with friends -- margaritas, coffee and one of the best massages I have had in a while. I live for happy moments like this, they make me smile and give me even more laugh lines, but I wouldn’t change a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment