Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Thankful for Fall


As Thanksgiving approaches, my favorite holiday, I have been thinking about all of the things I am thankful for. The reason I love Thanksgiving so much is because it is about being thankful, being with family and those who are near and dear to your heart, the people you love. I have so many things of which I am thankful – my wonderful family, precious boys, amazing friends and the freedom I enjoy here in this great nation.

A long talk with a friend the other day made me think of things I sometimes take for granted, the simple and beautiful things in life:

1. The beauty in nature. This year, I have been on the go so much, so each time I take a step outside and jump in my car, the change in colors dances around in my eyes, filling them with shades of red, yellow, gold, green and brown. The fall leaves are changing and falling all around me. I love this time of year and I think it is going to be spectacular. One day I would love to be in the Northeast or the Smoky Mountains and soak it all in.

2. The crispness of the fall air. Outside the other day, not only did I notice the crisp freshness, but also the smokiness from a nearby fireplace. It brought back wonderful memories of childhood, raking and jumping in leaves, watching my Dad cut wood, riding in the wheelbarrow, fires in our wood burning fireplace, the wonderful smells of fall. It makes me think of home and family.

3. The beautiful sky. Sometimes gray, sometime blue, sometimes overcast, but always enough to boost my mood and bring me some much needed energy. A big, gorgeous Texas sky. A week ago, my spirits were down. I was thinking of my grandmother who passed away a year ago and wishing she was still here. Tuesday was her birthday and it turned out to be a rotten day for me. As I walked outside to wait for Tyler’s bus, I looked up and the sun shined down on me. It was an automatic mood booster. Then, a ladybug landed on my shoulder and I knew she was with me. I softly put her in my hand and set her free.

4. Snuggling with my little men. Tyler has always been a snuggler, Luke not so much. Yesterday, Luke wanted to snuggle with me on the couch under a warm and fuzzy blanket, so I took advantage of this opportunity. I even forgot that we needed to get ready for school and just enjoyed the moment of snuggling and watching Sesame Street.

5. Long and lazy walks. There is nothing better than taking a long walk and seeing all of the beauty in nature. Taking your time, even looking for animals. Little hikes, long hikes, leisurely strolls. I hope that one day soon my boys will love to do this as much as I do, that it will be something I can share with them. Lately, I have been longing to hike through Bastrop State Park, to see and smell the tall pines. Maybe a weekend soon.

I am always thankful for my family and friends, they make my life so worthwhile, but so does nature. I hope all of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and spend it with people you love. I also hope you take time to enjoy the little things. It’s the little things and moments which make me feel alive and plant a smile on my face.

1 comment:

  1. What an enjoyable blog! Thank you Theresa, i've been thinking the same thing lately, about the changing weather, and the nature of family and friends. Glad to be back in touch with you after all these years!! :-)

    ReplyDelete