Monday, November 29, 2010

The Beauty and Magic of the Pacific Northwest

The icy splendor of Multnomah Falls
The Bridge of the Gods
Cascade Locks, Oregon



Trees along the trail at Silver Lake
A beautiful leaf I encountered along a trail
Franz Lake on the Washington side of the gorge and my favorite picture
Cascade Mountains across the street from our hotel
Horsetail Falls
Geoff and I at Multnomah Falls
Columbia River Gorge overlook on the Multnomah Falls trail
A pretty stream
Bridal Veils Creek
A Scenic Overlook, Historic Highway 30

Chanticleer Point
Mount Hood

I have always been drawn to the Pacific Northwest and finally got the chance to go with Geoff over Thanksgiving break. I took tons of pictures, about 400 and wanted to share some of my favorites with you. I was blown away by the breathtaking scenery -- the waterfalls, the mountains, the trees. I was in heaven, if only for a long weekend. The first day was cold and icy, so it limited what Geoff and I could do. We explored Multnomah Falls and I was mesmerized by the icy beauty and wonder of the falls. Due to the ice on the trail, we were only able to take in the grand view, the entirety of the falls. On Sunday, we were able to take the high trail and were misted by the cold waters of the upper falls.

The following day, we explored the Washington State side of Columbia River Gorge. We woke up to snowfall -- big, cotton-ball like flakes of snow. I thought it couldn't get any better, but it did! I fell in love with the Evergreen State and would move there in a heartbeat. I am already planning our next trip, jam packed with things we didn't get a chance to explore this time around. We also explored the Mt. St. Helens area. I was disappointed that the weather conditions did not allow us to see the mountain, it was obscured by clouds, but the Silver Lake Visitor Center was amazingly informative and beautiful. I especially enjoyed our little hike along the trail, taking in the sight and scent of the pines and the eerie beauty of the lake. We finally got a glimpse of Mt. St. Helens on Monday, an aerial view, as we ascended the air above Portland, making our way back home to Texas.

Our last day in the Columbia River Gorge turned out to be the best, we saw so many falls and stunning views. The Pacific Northwest has such a magical quality which is in part due to the geography, the mists from the falls, the low clouds and smokiness of the mountains. Some of my favorite places that day included Horsetail Falls, upper Multnomah Falls, Bridal Veil Falls and Chanticleer Point. I also enjoyed exploring downtown Portland, especially the Saturday Market and Powell's Books.

*A special thanks to Grammy and Pa for watching the boys so Geoff and I could make this trip and to Pa Pa (Dad) for taking care of the dogs. We had such a wonderful time and are truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment