Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Future






When you have a child with special needs, sometimes the future can be scary -- the unknowns. Will Tyler be bullied because he is different? Will he be able to live independently and be accepted in society or will he live with me until I die? Will he be able to go to college, have a career and have good, solid relationships with people? These are the things I worry about and some of my greatest fears. Today, I attended Tyler’s annual ARD, the planning meeting for next year. I left the meeting full of hope and positivity, thinking of all of the new things that will come next school year.

I am so pleased with Tyler’s placement. He will be in a full inclusion Kindergarten class with pull-out for speech therapy. His new teacher knows him, loves him and wants him in her class; I could not be happier. But I was also filled with another emotion, tremendous sadness, to leave the area that I have grown so familiar with – the Early Learning team of PPCD and Pre-K. Tyler has had the most amazing teachers the past three years and all of his new ones will have BIG shoes to fill. I will miss them tremendously, their hard work and perseverance with Tyler has helped him achieve some major milestones this year, especially potty training; for that, I will be eternally grateful.

Emailing Tammy (Tyler’s private speech therapist) today brought me to an incredible realization. Three years ago this was not something we thought would be possible, an inclusion class for Kindergarten. His speech was so delayed as were so many other areas, such as fine motor skills. Tyler has come such a long way! I am so proud of all of his progress and achievements. This is a true success story on the impact early intervention has on children with special needs. Academically, he is on target. He still struggles socially, but continues to amaze me with his progress and ability to have reciprocal conversations with people. This is an amazing feat in itself! I could go on and on, but I think I would rather take the time to thank those who have helped Tyler get where he is today.

Ms. Armstrong, I cannot even begin to thank you for EVERYTHING you have done for Tyler. You have such a peaceful disposition and a positive outlook for each of your students. You created Tyler's first structured learning environment, observed and enhanced his skills and helped him to move beyond his weaknesses. You also taught me so much, especially about picture schedules, which has helped tremendously. We were so lucky that you were able to work with him again this year, continuing to push him to do his best, both academically and behaviorally. You have the gift of knowing how to challenge him, even though sometimes you would butt heads with him over writing letters other than “T” due to his sheer stubbornness at trying new things. You never gave up and continued to challenge him. Three years later, he is such a changed little boy. You are a true autism whisperer!

Mrs. Geen, your compassion, patience and love for ALL of the children you teach inspires me. You are the ultimate caregiver and positive role model that all parents want their children to have in their lives. Tyler has learned so much the past two years from you and grown intellectually and emotionally as a result. You’ve really honed in on his love of animals and sparked his curiosity in science. His penmanship has improved dramatically this year, thanks to all of your hard work. I was so excited this year when you sent a note home telling me to have Tyler read me “The Snowman”. He read it word for word and I was such a proud mama! You really have a gift at bringing out the best in your students.

Ms. Melissa, you are truly the “mama bear” of the Early Learning Team. I am amazed at your patience and how well you know all of the children, especially how you can get them to behave! You have done so much to help us with Tyler, especially with potty training. Perhaps I should lobby for a pay raise for you due to your awesomeness. Maybe I’ll just get you a lifetime supply of Diet Dr. Pepper. You are an invaluable asset to the team. I wish I could steal you away and take you with us to Kindergarten, but Mrs. Geen and Ms. Armstrong would never forgive me. I love your sense of humor and the grace you draw upon to deal with the children in difficult times. Just thinking about you brings a big smile to my face.

Change is good, but especially hard when you have to leave behind those you care about and get out of your comfort zone. Someone once said, “Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.” Our lives have definitely changed and for the better due to all of the hard work of Tyler’s teachers. I will always look back on this time and remember the fun, the hard times, the positive growth, the encouragement and support. I will remember how lucky I was to have these people in my life. I will always feel these “footprints” on my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment