Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The New Obsession


Today, I decided to make a change, one that will help me take on the unbearable, crazy hot summer that has already begun, months early – a much shorter hairstyle. When you’re a busy mom, easy makes everything better. Friends and family not living in Texas, we began to hit 90 degree heat back in March, much too soon for my taste. When Tyler got home, he immediately noticed my haircut, “Wow Mommy! You got a haircut! It looks cool!” I lost count how many times he said this, so I’ll say around 50. This made my day, but was also the beginning of his new obsession – my awesome, new purple blow dryer.

Tyler has always loved anything which makes noise, especially of the musical variety – musical toys and music in general. Because of his sensory issues and noise sensitivities (he has Superman’s hearing), he was afraid of loud noises, including the blow dryer, vacuum and weed eater. Just getting one of these modern, convenient devices out would send him into hysterics and wild meltdowns would ensue. Now, it’s the opposite; he can’t get enough and becomes totally OCD about all of them. I made the mistake of showing him my new, kick-ass, purple ionic blow dryer. Purple pride, baby! Now, that’s all he wants to do, blow dry his buzz cut hair, who would’ve thought?


Tyler: Mommy, can I go and blow dry my hair?

Me: No, your hair is dry. You don’t need to blow dry it!

Tyler: Please mommy, I really want to dry my hair.

Me: It’s not wet! But if you must, use the cool function so it won’t be so hot!

Tyler: I love your blow dryer Mommy. It’s purple!

Me: I’m glad that you love it, purple is an awesome color.



Just writing this conversation down has me doing cartwheels! It has taken me years to have a conversation like this with Tyler. Many parents take this for granted, because their children began talking when they were supposed to and did not have to wait years for this awesomeness. Tyler was a late talker as a result of his autism and did not begin to use sentences until he was three. He is 5 ½, but his language is more like that of a four year old. Many frustrating times followed and still occur, when he can’t find the words to express himself. The above conversation is miraculous to me! Thanks Tammy, we have come such a long way. Sometimes, I am so overwhelmed with emotion -- happy tears fall fiercely down my face. Here’s to many more happy tears and joyous celebrations of good things.

1 comment:

  1. I like the new looks! I need a haircut too, think i'm gonna get it done in-home again just like last Summer..

    ReplyDelete