Monday, August 2, 2010

912 Days!

It’s been 2 ½ years (912 days!!!) since Tyler has gone to bed in his own room, instead of falling asleep in our bed and being moved to his after asleep. Over the weekend, I decided to move Tyler into Luke’s room and convert it into a “big boy bedroom," thinking it might help with Tyler’s sleep issues. I thought that bunking with his brother would make him look forward to bedtime and make him want to sleep in his own bed. Geoff was worried and wanted to put this off until a much later date, the 12th of never. On the other hand, I wanted to transition the boys into this new territory before school started. I headed to Target to find Tyler a matching trucks and cars quilt for his bed and went a little wild – quilt set, check; new sheets, check; wall art, check; car pillows, check; new valances, check; new rug, check. I wanted this new transition to be a good one, so I decided to get out the big guns.

Sunday, while the boys were at HEB wreaking havoc and causing much stress for Daddy, I moved the furniture around and got the rooms ready. We decided to convert Tyler’s room into a playroom for the boys since it is the larger one. As soon as the boys got home, Tyler ran upstairs. I had been preparing him for the move for about a week. He was so excited! He could not wait to get in his “new bed” and go night-night. I looked forward to bedtime, unsure of what would happen – if Tyler would want to sleep with his brother, or in our room. After bath time, Tyler ran into the “new room” and laid down on his bed, “I love my new bed!” I got him ready for bed, read his stories while Geoff was getting Luke ready. Geoff laid Luke down in his crib and he immediately started crying, “Mama hold you!” We told the boys we loved them, goodnight and left the room. Luke was still crying, then Tyler couldn’t take it anymore and started crying and I laughed! It was so funny, my little odd couple. After a while, Tyler ran into our bedroom and told me he wanted to go night-night with me, so I took him back to his room and lay down with him. Meanwhile, Geoff rocked Luke and put him in his crib. I snuck away a little later, when Luke was sound asleep and I told Tyler to sleep tight and not wake up his brother. I left the room and no one followed me! It was awesome! I went downstairs, turned on True Blood and had some much needed “me time.” Geoff was outside taking the trash out. He was astonished! Again, we have not had the luxury of having Tyler go to sleep in his bed for some time. We can definitely get used to this!

The next morning, Tyler woke up about 6:50 am and went to the bathroom. I got out of bed and asked if he wanted to snuggle and he tells me, “No Mommy, I need to go back and lie down in my bed.” Wow, my little boy is growing up! I would say that it makes me sad, but this is such an AMAZING breakthrough! I am so proud of him, now if I could just get Luke on board – he hates to share.

1 comment: