Monday, October 4, 2010

It's A Poop Thing!

A couple of weeks ago, I got together with the girls to celebrate Brandi’s birthday. We were all talking about the usual, what we have been up to and how things were going for our kids at school. They asked me how potty training was going with Tyler and if he had made any more progress with pooping on the potty. My reply was, “not really, but I’m hopeful.” Brandi told me about a favorite book of her children that they used to read, Everyone Poops, so I asked to borrow it. Low and behold, it has become a favorite of the boys. It’s quite hilarious -- the pictures, text and everything about it.

The next day, I read Everyone Poops to Tyler and he LOVED it! He reads it every day and talks about going poop on the potty and how all animals and people go poop on the potty. So whenever I change him, I always ask him “where does poop go Tyler?” “Poop goes in the potty Mommy!” The following day, we were getting the boys ready for bed. I decided to let Tyler run around naked for a while, hoping that if he had the urge to poop, he would run and sit on the potty. Then he tells me, “I need you to wipe my bottom.” So I take him to the bathroom and ask him if he wants to sit on the potty, which he does. As he is sitting on the potty, I have an epiphany, read Everyone Poops. So as he sits there, that’s exactly what I do. When I am finished, I close the door and give him his privacy. Then I hear, “I did it!” As I peered into the bathroom, I noticed a very excited Tyler, so I check the potty and there it is and ready to be flushed -- a brand new poop. We celebrated, did a happy dance, congratulated Tyler and rewarded him with a new Hot Wheels car. I think the more success Tyler has, the more he will feel confident and want to go on the potty, at home, at school, everywhere. I am REALLY looking forward to that day!

As we encourage Tyler toward achieving the goal of being fully potty-trained, I notice it’s all about poop and potty humor with the boys lately. Last Friday, we were at the visitation for Geoff’s uncle Tookie who had just passed away, and Tyler is talking about “tooting.” I was mortified! Looking back, it was funny, but still embarrassing nonetheless. There are just some things you don't say at a funeral home! I am hoping this poop and tooting obsession will lead us somewhere, preferably out of pull-ups.

Tonight, while getting the boys ready for bedtime, Luke fussed at Daddy because he wanted to rock and hear the bedtime stories from me. He cried the whole time while Geoff was reading to him. Luke came back into the room and says “I wanna rock with mommy,” so off we go back to the playroom to the glider rocker. As we leave Luke and Tyler’s room, Luke says. “Goodnight poopy Daddy, Goodnight poopy Tyler!” I laughed so hard at my comical little man. It’s a poop thing, you just wouldn’t understand!

No comments:

Post a Comment